February 26, 2008

Ultimate injury

Last Friday's game of ultimate was slightly annoying. Although my friends and I have been playing at least once a week all year long, as soon as the sun comes out, everyone else wants to get involved. Normally this would be a good thing except that last week we had more than 30 people show up. This meant that we had to split the field to accommodate two games and that (especially as more people continued to show up) every team was over-saturated with players. In other words, over-participation is an easy way to ruin a game of ultimate.

We ended up putting the n00bs on one field and us regulars on the other but we were still playing 8v8 on a tiny field. Having so many players on the field meant that injuries were more likely to occur, and they did, to me.

First, I got clothes-lined by my friend Ben, who is 6'4" or something like that. "Clothes-lined" might not be the right word because my forward momentum (I'm super fast guys) met the swing of his backhand with full force. I came out the side with a bloody lip, having successfully bitten through a large chunk of skin that was still attached to my mouth.

The healing has been fine but now the wound is starting to sting like a damn canker sore and it limits the kinds of foods I can eat for now (sorry jalepeno chips).

Next, my other friend Ben stepped on my foot. He's a pretty fast guy so I could've guessed that his legs were powerful, but I not nearly as powerful as they felt when he bore down squarely on the top of my foot with his cleats. Ouch. The good news is that the bruise is starting to yellow, which my roommate says indicates that it's getting better.

The problem is that I'm very small and so any contact with other, larger, players tends to end in injury on my behalf. It's a rough life but I'd like to think it makes me a little tougher (bitchier).